Here at The Jetters Edge, we want every one of our customers to succeed! But the reality is that running a business, especially in 2023, is a tough gig. So, what can you do to ensure your business has the greatest chance of success? While we will admit there are no guarantees in this world, we hope that the following information can help you lay a good foundation to be successful.
Running a successful plumbing and water jetting business requires a clear and well-defined business plan, a strong marketing strategy, focused leadership, a talented and dedicated team, continuous improvement, a focus on providing value, sound financial management, and networking and partnerships. These basic tenets apply to all businesses, so getting your head around them and effectively implementing them is essential.
As a business owner, you should clearly understand the target market and competition, financial projections, and how to inspire and motivate employees. It's important to continuously monitor and adjust your strategy as needed and understand that there is no single formula for success. Building relationships with other businesses and industry leaders can also help a business to grow and succeed. Building those relationships can take time; certainly, The Jetters Edge can help you get started. We love to support and encourage new plumbers to get into the game and assist in guiding them with their jetting setup. So, if you are after advice on equipment, custom fit-outs, or what product is best for a particular situation… ask us. We have years of experience and don’t want to keep it a secret!
There are several strategies you can use to make a success of your local plumbing business, including:
- Building a strong online presence: This includes creating a website, social media accounts (we especially recommend Instagram!), and online directories to attract customers to your business.
- Networking and building relationships:Attend local networking events and build relationships with other local business owners and community leaders. Plumbing can be considered an essential service for many, so when someone is looking for a plumber, make sure it is you they think of first.
- Providing excellent customer service:Train your staff to provide top-notch customer service, and ensure you are responsive to customer complaints and feedback. This is especially important in the plumbing world. Oftentimes you will need to disturb a homeowner’s garden or living space, so ensuring your customer service level is second to none can make all the difference.
- Offering competitive pricing: Research your competitors' pricing and adjust your pricing accordingly to stay competitive. But remember, don’t ever undersell yourself. If you provide high-quality service and workmanship that the customer can trust, you’re entitled to include those benefits in your quotes.
- Investing in marketing and advertising: To reach new customers, consider investing in targeted advertising and marketing campaigns. This is especially important to your local catchment areas. The last thing you want is requests for quotes from the other side of town which won’t be cost-effective for you and can end up costing you money in the long run.
- Staying up-to-date with industry trends and regulations: Keep abreast of industry developments and regulations to offer the latest services and comply with all laws and regulations. Safety is so important when it comes to plumbing and water jetting in particular. The Jetters Edge can help with any and all safety equipment and safety advice. The last thing you want on the job is a major injury from not being prepared.
- Building a strong team: Hire and train skilled, reliable employees and create a positive work culture. This isn’t always easy, and at times you may face the need for staff changes. Knowing the type of person you want and the required skills level can help avoid costly hiring missteps.
- Continuously seeking feedback and improving: Ask customers and employees for feedback and use it to improve your service. You will only know if you are doing something wrong if you ask your customers. It’s difficult to accept sometimes, but if a common complaint arises, you are alert to react and solve the problem. Conversely, hearing positive feedback and compliments lets you know you are on the right track and builds morale across the team.
One thing we can’t stress enough for all plumbers is QUALITY. Ensuring you are using a quality water jetter, quality nozzles, quality accessories, and quality parts can be the difference between completing a job economically, efficiently and at a profit. Even when you are an accomplished plumber and produce top-quality service, you can still be let down by inferior tools and equipment. When you purchase a cheaper product, you run the risk of reduced performance and higher product failure rates. In the plumbing world, that is a risk that is just not worth taking.
Overall, the key to success in a local plumbing business is to provide excellent service, use quality equipment, build a strong reputation, and continuously adapt and improve your business.
And remember, The Jetters Edge is always here, with over 25 years in the plumbing business ourselves, to support your business and help make it a success! So feel free to contact us and have a chat.